Hot Air Ballooning in Nepal
This latest adventure sport of Nepal draws huge tourists every year.
Come to Nepal to look up into the sky and see the mighty towers of The Himalayas for an unforgettable excitement
and memories to last and same goes if you look down where your eyes will capture greeneries, magnificent valleys unmatched
like anywhere on this planet. Nepal is often called "Shangrilla". With Balloon you can do both view Himalayas as well as fly up above the Shangrilla to feel it, literally!
A group tour doesn't cost that much. There is more info at the end about the cost. Flying by airplanes might be a good option for viewing just the mountains but if you want
to see the beautiful landscape that Nepal possess, you have to get on board with a Balloon which glides with the Himalayan breeze kissing your
chicks; something that you won't be able to get again anywhere on this planet.
How high can I go and How long will be my ride ? Depending on the altitude of nearby mountains, your instructor will take this matter serious.
Ballooning in areas were not much space is left between two or more mountains can be a hazardous. Ballooning in Pokhara, Kathmandu, and other cities have become popular
but the number of tourists doing this activity in Terai region (Plain) is also growing up. On average they go upto 13,200 feet about 4,000 meters high; enough for your pleasure.
Hot Air Balloon for Mountain views lasts for 1 to 2 hours and is one of the most thrilling and exciting adventures in Nepal. Ask your
travel agent for advance booking and further details.
Photos of Balloon
- For a list of service providers, please look through our web directory > Travel Companies. Many offer this service as an Agent or Operator.
If you are looking for best deal, find the operator not the agent. Travel Agents / Operators Directory Mountain excursion operators
can also arrange this for you.
Where to Go ?
- Popular Choices are Kathmandu Valley, Pokhara, Lumbini and Chitwan
- Other Terai regions could also be in your schedule, including the region that stretches from Chitwan to Bhairahawa and/or Chitwan to Biratnagar, Chitwan to Dharan. Contact with local Nepali travel agent to find out if your desired destination is available for flying.
Tips and Guide
- There is no age limit, however, kids or even parents with high-altitude sickness should avoid this sport if you are planning on going for higher elevations where the oxygen level can be low.
- If you are doing on your own with your own equipment, please be aware of the weather conditions, have a local knowledge about the terai such as altitude of mountains that would be in your area or path. Register at Nepal Tourism Board or at your Embassy before you embark on your journey. By doing so, they can help you incase you need help such as during emergency situations.
- Most air ballooning start early in the morning. The reason is so that you can witness sunrise beauty, if you get lucky and the weather is good you can also see sun's rays reflecting from the Himalayas; the most beautiful sight which is rarely witnessed by mankind.
- Your mind alone won't be enough to capture the moments. So bring along camcorders and shoot films. You will appreciate that.
- On what to wear the flying pilot should advice you. Caps, (Hiking Dress; clothes and boots), Sun Glasses are recommended.
- Carry a binocular. After all, all that cost for getting you and close shouldn't limit you from seeing beyond!
- Did you know? Some of the travelers who did this on their own have gone above 50,000 feet or more something that is not done by the local operators. Also be aware, the further you go from the valley, you
will be losing oxygen and altitude-sickness will start to strike-down. In such case, Those who have gone that up must have have carried oxygen tanks. Would you think so ?
How much will it cost ?
- This will depend on the group or solo fly. If you are doing solo, it will cost you deadly. In a group of two or three, depending on the capacity of
air balloon, you can reduce your cost. Cost should not exceed more than USD $500 to US$850 per flight for 1 hour trip in Kathmandu Valley. For other regions, you will need to contact the local agents.
- It is not necessary to make prior arrangements for this facility unless your time in Nepal is limited. Once there, your travel agent can help you find one that
fits your budget and the things you wish to see from up-above!
Travel Tips and Notes
Games and Extras
Planning your Trip