Mount Everest Facts and Information
All on a single page, bookmark it!
Here comes, the highest mountain on earth, The* Mt. Everest, a Himalayan Spirit which lives and breathes all along in Nepal.
Those who have done it never thought they could, and for some, it has changed their life forever. Climb it if you can, or read on to educate yourself.
Everest Base Camp, 5200 meters,
The place most trekkers begin their ascent of the world’s highest peak.
Two Icons of Everest – World’s First climbers to Everest Tenzing and Hillary
“We will stamp on the top
with the wind in our teeth…” — George Mallory
“Once in their lifetime, every person should journey to a place where legends live, where everything is bigger than life. Everest has always represented nature at its most powerful, most awe-inspiring, most unconquerable.” — An American Mountain Climber
A brief Fact Sheet of Mount Everest
|Definition of Mount Everest||:||a mountain in the central Himalayas on the border of Tibet and Nepal; the highest mountain peak in the world.|
|Nepali Name||:||Sagarmatha (which means Goddess of the sky)|
|Tibetan Name||Chomolungma (which means mother Goddess of the Universe)|
|Height||:||8848 meters or 29,029 ft|
|Location||:||On the border between Nepal and Tibet, where all of the worlds 14 Eight thousand meter peaks are found.|
|Latitude||latitude 270 45’ N and 280 0’ N and longitude 800 30’ E and 870 0’ E in the Solukhumbhu District of Sagarmatha Zone of the kingdom of Nepal|
|Local People||:||Sherpas and Tibetan|
|Summit Record Holders:|
|Longest Stay on top||:||Babu Chiri Sherpa, who stayed at the summit for twenty one and half hours.|
|First Climbers||:||Tenzing Norgay from Nepal and Sir Edmund Percival Hillary from New Zealand, on 5/29/1953 via the South-East Ridge Route|
|First Nepali Women to Climb||:||Pasang Llamu Sherpa, on April 22nd, 1993|
|One of the best climbers||:||Nepali, Apa Sherpa, climbed Everest 11 times.|
|Fastest Ascent||Babu Chhiri Sherpa on June 21 2000, ascent from south side
Hans Kammerlander May 24,1996, ascent from north side
|Youngest Climber||:||Nepali, Temba Tsheri Age 15 on May 22, 2001|
|First Women Climber||:||In 1975 – The first woman to summit Everest was Junko Tabei, a Japanese, who reached the summit via the South-East Ridge route.|
|Oldest Person to Climb||:||A Nepali, age 76, Mr. Min Bahadur Sherchan of Nepal
Second Rupper Up:
was a 71 Year Old Japanese Katsusuke Yanagisawa, a teacher by profession.
|Oldest Women to Climb||:||Anna Czerwinska May 22, 2000|
|Largest Group to reach the summit||:||50 people on May 2002|
|First Couple to ever get married on the summit||:||Nepalese Mona Mulepati and Pem Dorje Sherpa on May 30th 2005|
|Number of Mount Everest Climbers So Far||:||About 1,500 men and women from 64 nations|
Description of Everest Camps
|Everest Base Camp||5,360||17,585|
|Everest Camp 1||6,100||20,015|
|Everest Camp 2||6,600||21,500|
|Everest Camp 3||7,200||23,621|
|Everest Camp 4||7,926||26,000|
|An Honorary Nepali Citizen
Read news article form CNN >>
Personal Homepages of Everest Climbers
All links open in a new browser window. Many of us won’t make it there, but it’s still a lot of fun watching these guys do it. Cheers to you all !!
- Edmund Hillary – “I was the first to Conquer Everest”, a site fully dedicated to him.
- PasangLhamu.org – Pasang Lhamu Sherpa – 1st Nepali women to conquer the Everest
- Discovery – Everest (new) – Here Greg Child reports on 2007 Expedition
- Jim Whittaker – the first American to climb Mt Everest
- Merab Khabazi – the first Georgian everest submitters
- Andre Zlattinger (new) – He details with photos and daily journal about expedition
- Jaime Vinals – the first central american to climb the summit. Site in English and Spanish
- John Gluckman – John Gluckman with his story
- Irish Everest Team 2003 – Irish Team share their Everest climbing stories,
- Auburn man – Auburn man at Everest sees death amid beauty
- Vashon Island – with the pictures and history of dispatches from the Everest
- Tom Whittaker – `a Footprint on Everest’ popular CBS series, climbed everest in 1998
- Alan Arnette – Mountain Climber who submitted Everest twice, with pictures and story
- Simone Moro (new) – Simone Moro from Italy with details on his mountain records
- Everestchallenge – 2008 (new) daily blogs and accomplishment of team of five here
Top 10 Mountains of The World
For photos and more on these and other mountains see our special section Nepal Himalayas
Height meter (feet)
|1.||Mount Everest||8848m (29029ft)||Nepal|
|2.||Qogir (K2)||8611m (28250ft)||India|
|4.||Makalu I||8481m (27824ft)||Nepal|
|6.||Manaslu I||8156m (26760ft)||Nepal|
|7.||Cho Oyu||8189m (26750ft)||Nepal|
|8.||Nanga Parbat||8126m (26660ft)||India|
|9.||Annapurna I||8078m (26504ft)||Nepal|
Some inspiring and interesting Quotations on Everest
“I climbed Everest so that my children wouldn’t have to.” — Jamling Norga
“Everest? Don’t forget it’s really just a big pile of rocks” —- David Breashears
“Strong motivation is the most important factor in getting you to the top” — Edmund Hillary
“Everest for me, and I believe for the world, is the physical and symbolic manifestation of overcoming odds to achieve a dream” —- Tom Whittaker
“Because it is there. — George Mallory (1886-1924), answering to the question: ‘Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest?'”
“The highest of the world’s mountains, it seems, has to make but a single gesture of magnificence to be the Lord of all, vast in unchallenged and isolated supremacy” —- George Mallory, 1924
“You’ve climbed the highest mountain in the world. Now what’s left? It’s all downhill from there. You have got to set your sights on something higher than Everest.” — Willi Unsoeld
“Everest is a matter of universal of human endeavor, a cause from which there is no withdrawl, whatever loses it may demand” — G O Dyrenfurth
“Feeling Wasted? Climb Everest before you Die!” — NepalVista.com
“I can’t understand why men make all this fuss about Everest — it’s only a mountain” — Junko Tabei
For more quotes see Everest and Trekking quotes at Nepal Vista Quotes Section
Why would you wanna climb Everest ?
- You have climbed other small mountains and you are ready for the challenge
- You want to prove that climbing everest isn’t only for those who claim that they are the fittest. Erik Weihenmeyer, climbed everest even after losing his vision, and Glasgow from scotland wants to climb everest on a Wheel Chair. Passion and love drives people to Everest
- People love to break records that the other persons set
- There is no high ground beyond everest so people feel that they should be there at least before they say good bye to this earth
- The true view of the Himalayan beauty is only possible after the challenge
- Climbing Everest is a costly undertaking, very huge investment. People invest for achievement and personal satisfaction
- Climbing Everest can be addictive. There are many who climb not once, but many times; each for pushing their physical limit and for joys that follows
- Some climb to follow the foot step of Sir Edmund and just do it to honor him.
- Professional film makers such as National Geographic climbs for research and films to share with the world
Links open in a new window, please visit at your own risk
- Picasaweb – Google – Everest Photos (new) – photos by Lloyd on his expedition.
- National Geographic – Left 4 Dead (new) – Dan Mazur is leading yet another expedition!
- Nasa.Gov: Everest Picture – a 360 degree view from Everest.
- PBS.org : Nova Online Adventure : Everest – about the mt, climbers, stories and loses.
- Measuring Up the Mount Everest – a National Geographic Team measuring the height
- Bielefeldt.de : Everest – a brief history of Mount Everest
- Geographical Location of Everest – details on geography and climate of the region
- 100gogo.com/ever.htm – facts and a true story of first climb to the summit
- Everest Peace Project : Photo Gallery a gallery of photos here
- Dave’s Everest Trek – getting out of your comfort zone – a travel diary to Everest Trek
- EverestMarathon.org.uk – highest marathon in the world is in Nepal!
- BlueTrek.Org : Everest Movies – movies of Everest Base Camp Treks
- 2001Everest.com – history in the making by National Federation of the Blind 2001
Did you now ? – Some Fun Facts Just For you!
- Mr. Jean-Marc Boivin of France makes the descended from the top to bottom in just 11 minutes by paragliding in 1988
- The only Climber in the world who can climb Everest from all of it’s site is none other than is a Nepali. He name is Kushang Sherpa. Mr. Sherpa is an instructor at the Mountaineering Institute
- Largest Team ever went to submit everest was in 1975; a total of 410 people going all together! Double Wows!!
- Australian becomes the first country to have its nation who climbs Everest from all the way from sea level to the top of the world. This happen in 1990 and his name is Tim Maccartney Snape.
- Worst Years on Everest: In 1993 8 died out of 129, in 1996: 15 died out of 98 people.
- The area on Everest that has cost many lives is the “Khumbu Ice Fall” taking 19 lives so far.
- Did you know that the First American, Stacey Allison climbs Everest in 1988, empowering many other Americans to follow her dream.
- Did you know everest was born 60 million years ago and continues to rise about 2 inch every year.
- In 2003, Dr. Hillary received an, Honorary citizen of Nepal, as he celebrated the 50th anniversary of historic first climb.
- Travel Videos – browse and watch videos on Everest category
- Nepal Himalayas – from the features section
- Trekking in Nepal – Travel Information
- Quotations on Mt. Everest
- Travel Companies of Nepal
- We are here to serve you. Please discuss anything related to this topic. Forum is open. See below for a link to the forum. Thanks.